Friday, January 13, 2012

Flight Problems

Well I'm not leaving Mactown tonight either.

Last night, our flight was delayed due to weather and to wait for the injured fishermen to arrive at McMurdo. The flight was rescheduled for tonight, but we got the news this evening that we aren't leaving until Sunday night because of mechanical problems. Not sure how a plane breaks down while it's sitting on a tarmac but apparently it happened!

It looks like I've got time to kill in Antarctica. Maybe I should check out the movie schedule!

As for the fishermen, they were finally able to pick them up via helicopter this morning (the helicopters couldn't pick them up last night because of the weather) and take them up to Christchurch on a LC-130. I think that they might have been dropped off by the helicopter right at the runway. I didn't see them arrive or anything. Here's a news story about it http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/194304/fishing-boat-burns-victims-way-christchurch

I went on a walk today down the Scott Base and then on the Observation Hill loop. It took about 3 hours. Saw a bunch of seals and some skuas.

No comments:

Post a Comment