Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sleeping and Eating

I thought I would do a quick post about where we sleep and where we eat since so many people ask about that!

View of the three buildings in Mactown I spend time in. Labels added too
I am in a dorm room with 1 other roommate. Most rooms have space for 3 people so I lucked out by being placed in a room with only two beds. McMurdo can house over 1000 people at a time so there is quite a bit of dorm space when you add it all together. My building is only 2 stories but some of the other dorm buildings are 3 stories. I don't really see my roommate that often because he leaves for work at about 7 AM and gets back to Mactown at about 6 PM but he's a really nice guy.

My cramped room

Cramped dorm room

We work in Phase 1 of the Crary Lab. I've already done a post about the lab.

The cafeteria is inside of the big blue Personnel Building. Lots of central services are housed in the same building like the barbershop, computer lab, human resources office, store, finance office, etc. The cafeteria is free and it's all-you-eat. The food isn't all that impressive but you have to maintain the perspective that it's free and you're in Antarctica! They usually give you lots of options for every meal so I have always been able to find something to eat. There's also a soft-serve ice cream machine called Frosty Boy that can always lift your spirits if you weren't satisfied by the main course! There are desserts at both lunch and dinner too. Good thing I'm not going to be here for very long or I might start gaining lots of weight!

Part of the seating area for the cafeteria

Cafeteria

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the posts Jeremy.
    Great to have the commentary to correlate with the experiences.
    You mention the times you do things - is this the same time zone as New Zealand?
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, we operate on New Zealand time down here in McMurdo! It is +21 hours from Pacific time, or +1 day then -3 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time of the day is odd, when by looking toward the sun it always appears to be either early in the morning or getting late in the afternoon.
    Is there a PX or commissary to buy anything?
    If so what do they sell?
    Happy New Year, Neil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time of day is strange here without the sun going down! I guess it makes more sense when there are actual days and nights. My pictures are mostly at night when the sun is lower in the sky.

    Yeah there is a little store here. The big seller is the beer of course! They have all sorts of souvenir-type items though of course. They also have things like candy bars and soda

    ReplyDelete